Monday, April 9, 2007

The Knowledge of God - Part Three

The other day, I posted here that God sees all we do, and that He knows every thought we have, and what a sobering thought it is.

As A. W. Pink says below, and here, it's a comforting thought as well.

"But to the believer, the fact of God’s omniscience is a truth fraught with much comfort. In times of perplexity he says with Job, "But He knoweth the way that I take." (23:10). It may be profoundly mysterious to me, quite incomprehensible to my friends, but "He knoweth!" In times of weariness and weakness believers assure themselves "He knoweth our frame; He remembereth that we are dust" (Psalm 103:14). In times of doubt and suspicion they appeal to this very attribute saying, "Search me, 0 God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting" (Psalm 139:23,24). In time of sad failure, when our actions have belied our hearts, when our deeds have repudiated our devotion, and the searching question comes to us, "Lovest thou Me?;" we say, as Peter did, "Lord, Thou knowest all things; Thou knowest that I love Thee" (John 21:17)."

As I look back to where I am today, I cannot help but see God's hand in my life, especially in the last twelve years. Almost twelve years ago, I received some news that devastated me. News that is still hurtful to me at times. I thought I was equipped to handle it, but at the time we were in an Assemblies of God church, and I was watching TBN, and learning how to pray deliverance prayers, and all kinds of false things. I'm embarrassed writing that down, knowing that people are going to read it. But, I was not equipped at all, I was serving a god of my own making. I was serving a god who could heal my hurts, answer my prayers the way I wanted Him to, and then when He didn't, well then I wasn't praying enough, I didn't have enough faith, or some other lie.

Although we left that church, we then started going to a non denominational church. The theology was a bit better, but I was still not equipped to handle a certain thing. I also still had a wrong view of God. After five years there, the Lord orchestrated things in that church to the point where I could no longer stay. It wasn't until I left there that I realized I was dying spiritually inside.

It's been two years since I left there permanently, and almost two years since I've been going to the Reformed Baptist church I go to now. I had become a Calvinist right before I left the other church. As I began to be fed with good, sound, solid doctrine, I came to know the one true God, and not the God of my own making. The comfort and peace that it has brought me is indescribable. I still struggle at times with why the Lord has orchestrated things in my life the way He has. The difference now is that I know whatever I go through is for my good, and His glory, and that He has a purpose for it. Nothing happens outside of His decree, and the comfort that brings me, even in the midst of tears, is precious to me.

Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

Ephesians 1:11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,

Ephesians 1:12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.