Thursday, January 10, 2008

Psst - Let Me Tell You a Secret - Shhhhhhh

I have been keeping a secret from my husband since last Thursday afternoon. I kept it from my daughters until yesterday. This little secret has not been easy to keep. I told only one other person, my online friend Mrs. Cheese (teehee).

Last Thursday was one of the best days I have had in a long time. I went out to lunch with a friend, and you can read about that here. In that same post, I told you I had a surprise for my husband. I'll let you in on this little secret, which he'll find out about tonight.

After I got home, I got a call from another friend of mine from church. She told me that her father had a car that he was
GIVING away because he was buying another one. He asked if she knew anyone who needed a car, and she immediately thought of us. We have an old 1989 minivan that is on it's last legs, and it was the only car we had. The power steering went completely out during the summer and I was unable to drive it, my husband can but it's getting more and more difficult for him. So, I have been unable to drive for a long, long time. The window on the passenger side, my side, would not roll down, and the air conditioning had broken down last spring. So it was one long, hot summer. Because of all of that, I just stopped going anywhere and rarely left the house. We were planning on buying a used car with our tax money sometime in the middle of February. So we were in desperate need of another car. Another thing is that our van had only lap belts in the backseat that my daughters used. Whenever we went anywhere I trusted the Lord that He would protect them.

My friend and I made arrangements for yesterday, that she was going to pick me and the girls up in the morning to pick our new car up. I still had not told the girls, but I did tell them I had a surprise for them. I sort of blew it when we got near her house because I said something like "so when I leave, I turn right, right?", and my older daughter, being the smart girl that she is, picked up on that. What was pretty funny though is the girls were sitting on the couch, and Toni gave them a late Christmas present. They opened it up, and it was those Lifesavers in a book things, and my younger daughter looked like "that's it, that's the surprise?", lol. When Toni's father pulled up, I told the girls to get up to come see our new car. Brooke, my younger daughter's eyes got big, and her mouth was open wide. She was so surprised and just couldn't believe it. She has been praying for the Lord to provide another car for us, and this has been such a good faith builder for her. Heather was surprised too, but Brooke's expression was priceless!

Our new car is a 1992 Chrysler Fifth Avenue New Yorker, and it is absolutely beautiful! It rides so nicely, and I absolutely love it. It is in excellent condition, and I am so thankful, and grateful to the Lord for blessing us in this way. I pray He will bless Toni's parents too. They are so sweet, her dad reminds me of my late father. If I can figure out how to do the disk to the computer from my new digital camera, I will take a picture of the car and post it.

I parked the car out front, almost to our next door neighbor's. Having a car parked there is not unusual because sometimes our neighbors have friends who park there. So, here's the plan for telling my husband. We're all going to go out tonight, and the girls are going to go out to the car first and hide, and I'm going to sidetrack him while they do that. They're going to get into our new car, and when my husband and I come out, we'll go to the van, he's going to open my door (like he always does), he'll look in and see that the girls aren't there. Then, the girls are going to open the car door and yell SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow is his birthday, and so this car is a combination late Christmas present for all of us, and an early birthday present for him. It's going to be our family car.

You guys just don't know how thankful I am - both to the Lord and to Toni's parents.