Friday, June 15, 2007

God's Providence

Last night was the first performance for the cast of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and they did a great job. Even better than the performance was something that happened afterwards when we were out in the lobby that reinforced to me that God orchestrates everything in our lives.

This story begins nine years ago. I posted on my younger daughter's birthday about her premature birth here. That day my husband met a man in the NICU who had twin boys on May 19th, which is my birthday. One baby weighed one pound, the other a pound and a half. The baby who weighed one pound went home to be with the Lord on the day that Brooke was born. My husband spent alot of time talking with the father because they were always there in the hospital together. We haven't seen them in nine years, and every year on our birthdays, and really more often than that, we have thought about the baby and wondered how he and his family were doing.

After the performance last night we were walking down the aisle towards the lobby when an older man stopped us and told Brooke that she did a great job. As we were having refreshments, I noticed the same man standing nearby so I started talking to him. He told me his grandson was in the play and was playing the part of Augustus Gloop. He pointed to someone and said that he was the father. The father came over and as we were talking I thought his voice sounded familiar, and that he kind of looked like the father of the twins from nine years ago. Since I'm not shy about asking questions at times, I asked him if he had a nephew who was premature. He said no but his son was, and pointed to Augustus' brother. I said "aha! we know you!" It turns out that this was the baby born two days before Brooke, and the very little boy my husband and I were talking about the other night!!

I don't believe in odds, or chances, nor even coincidences, but what are the odds of that happening? When things like this happen, and it has happened to me twice before this, it so clearly shows me that GOD ALONE orchestrates EVERY single detail in our lives, right down to something like that.......having each person there in the right spot. It never ceases to amaze me when I see God's hand so clearly working in my life like that.

It reinforces to me that NOTHING happens by chance, or coincidence. God IS ruling this world and IS working ALL things out after the counsel of HIS will.

Ephesians 1:11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,

Isaiah 46:9 remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me,

Isaiah 46:10 declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,'

Isaiah 46:11 calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.