Thursday, July 5, 2007

Back to Normal/Wasting Time

I think I am finally back on track with posting now. Whew, am I glad the performances are over and we can get back to living our lives again. I have missed posting, and reading my favorite blogs. I've been off track for so long now that I'm not even sure where to begin.

During these past couple of months I've been doing a lot of thinking on how I spend my time, and how much of it I actually waste. I'm thankful my daughters were given a part in the play for several reasons. The main reason is that it has helped me rethink my priorities in the sense of causing me to reflect on what is really important. Not just important, but what is important to God. As a good friend likes to remind me "it's not about YOU," and said friend knows who she is :)

We spent five nights each week at the theater for nearly two months, which meant that we had to rush through supper, and cleaning up in order to get their at a certain time. We no longer had time to enjoy our meal at our own pace, and no time in the evenings for reading aloud. It was rush, rush, rush for five days each week.

Is how we spend our time really important to God? I believe it is important. I was listening to a CD the other day called Twenty-Four Hours is All You Get, by Susan Bradrick, which can be bought here. It reinforced to me what I believed the Lord was teaching me through the Scriptures.

Ephesians 5:15-17 says this:

Verse 15 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise,

Verse 16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil.


Verse 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.


The phrase "making the most of your time" was a tad bit convicting. Okay, well maybe not a tad bit, a better word would be alot. It is far too easy for me to waste my time on things that have no eternal value, on things that are essentially worthless. As a stay at home wife and mother, I have plenty to keep me busy. I have daughters to teach what is good, to train them on how to love their husbands, their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, and how to be submit to their husbands. I am to teach them how to do those things, how to live it out so that, and this is very heavy, the Word of God is not dishonored.


Titus 2:3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good,

Titus 2:4 so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children,


Titus 2 5 to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.


If I do all that I am to do as a wife and mother, I have no time to waste on things that have no eternal value. As my favorite verse says:

2 Corinthians 5:9 So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.

One goal I have is to consistently apply that verse in my life. If my aim is to please Him at all times, am I pleasing Him when I waste my time on frivilous things? When I waste my time on the computer when I should be training my daughters, or managing my home I am not pleasing Him. I want to remember that this life is short, none of us know when He will call us home. In the time I have left to live my life, I want my life to glorify Him in all I say and do.