Friday, May 30, 2008

Memorial Day - Observing it today, the TRADITIONAL day

If my parents were still alive today, they would be celebrating their 61st wedding anniversary. They purposely chose Memorial Day (the traditional day - May 30th) to get married on. Here is a good link about the History of Memorial Day. The day has since been changed to the last Monday in May to ensure a three day weekend for Federal holidays. That is NOT what Memorial Day is to be about. It isn't about getting a day off from work, having a three day weekend, cooking out, etc. Instead, Memorial Day was originally meant to be a day to "set aside one day out of the year for the nation to get together to remember, reflect and honor those who have given their all in service to their country". If you believe that we should get back to honoring those who have given their lives in service to our country, there is a petition you can sign here.

I'm thankful to those who were willing to serve our country, and who lost their lives as a result. I thank those who have willing served our country, and all of those who are serving now. Let's remember to pray for our troops, and to pray for their families as well.

The below videos are in honor of those who gave their lives for our country, to those who were in the military, and to those who are serving now. I post them also in honor of Jaron Holliday, the son of a lady I was on a list with, who was killed in Iraq on August 4, 2007, and the first video is a tribute to him.









Please watch all four of the videos, the last two are two different ones of Lee Greenwood's song, God Bless the USA. The last two I could not choose between because they were both equally good.

Thank you to the troops who are serving now, and to those who have served our country in the past.

Also, in honor of my dad, Charles A. Brown, Jr., who was retired from the United States Navy.

Dad, I'm still a proud Navy brat.

UPDATE: My younger daughter and I just got back from a cemetery, where we put small flags on each grave of those who served our country, at least until our flags ran out. I hope this will become a tradition for us. Those men who fought in wars caused me even more to be glad that I am an American, and dare I say a proud American. One reason I am proud is because of those who have willingly served our country, some losing their lives.