Monday, November 19, 2007

Honoring our Husbands

Honoring my husband is something I've been thinking about alot in recent weeks. I admit that in the past I've done more than my share of dishonoring my husband to others, and am ashamed of it. I repented of that some time ago, and am seeking ways that I can honor him. It's a shame that I didn't learn this until I was in my 40's. One of my prayers is that by the time my daughters get married, they will have learned the importance of honoring their husbands, and speaking well of him to others through my example, however imperfectly I am at doing that sometimes.

The Amplified Version of 1 Peter 3:2 says it this way:

1 Peter 3:2
When they observe the pure and modest way in which you conduct yourselves, together with your reverence [for your husband; you are to feel for him all that reverence includes: to respect, defer to, revere him--to honor, esteem, appreciate, prize, and, in the human sense, to adore him, that is, to admire, praise, be devoted to, deeply love, and enjoy your husband].

I don't know if it's because I've been thinking about the issue of honoring my husband lately, but I've become more aware when wives dishonor their husbands to others, whether it be over the Internet, by phone, or face to face. It's something that bothers me a great deal.

Pro 14:1 Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands. (KJV)

Pro 14:1 The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down. (ESV)

The foolish woman tears her house down, and one way she does that is through dishonoring her husband. Several years ago when I was in my 30's, an older woman was talking to me about her husband, and added "that stupid Jack." At the time, I knew little to nothing about my role as a wife to my husband. But that comment disturbed me, and with that one comment, the respect I had for this lady disappeared. She was well into her 60's, and I never thought about her the same again.

Pro 12:4 An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who brings shame is like rottenness in his bones.

Which type of wife do we want to be? An excellent wife, one who is a crown to her husband, or one who brings him shame? A wife who builds her house, or one who tears it down with our words, and actions?

I want to publicly thank my husband for being a hard worker, and for being faithful. He works hard so that we can have a roof over our heads, food to eat, and a bed to sleep in. When times have been tough financially, he has worked two jobs so that I could stay at home, and take care of our home, and train our daughters. He's easy going, nothing ruffles his feathers, which is unlike me since I tend to let things distress me. He opens car doors for me, as well as other doors. We celebrated our 18th year of marriage on October 24th, and I can say that I am blessed, and pray that we have many more years together.