Monday, August 20, 2007

12 Week Challenge is Almost Over

This summer I took the challenge from Christa to "Seize the Summer." The twelve weeks will end on September 1st. For me, it's been a very challenging twelve weeks, but a good one. There was some confusion on my part on an issue regarding my role as a wife, but I believe that's been cleared up.

I wish I could say that I have it all down pat, I submit perfectly, and that I always respect my husband, but I can't. I'm still a work in progress, and the Lord continues to work in me both to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Philippians 2:12 "
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,

Philippians 2:13 "for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."

We've been married for almost 18 years, and it's only been within the past few years that I have begun to understand exactly what my role is. With me being 49 years old, you would think that I would be further along in this than I am, but alas, I am not. One book that helped me tremendously in understanding what marriage is to be is Martha Peace's book, The Excellent Wife. Until I read that book, I had not understood that marriage is to be a reflection of Christ and the Church. That seems to have made a big impact on me, and these past few months have caused me to be more focused as to how I can truly be a help meet to my husband. Go over to Christa's blog, she is reviewing Martha's book on Wednesdays.

I have so far to go, yet I thank the Lord that He is still working in me. I thank Him that He is changing the desires of my heart, especially as a wife.

With each passing day I see more and more how dependent upon the Lord I am. He shows me the areas I need to grow in, and along with that, He gives me the desire to grow in that same area. As the mother of two daughters, and one of them a teen, I see the huge responsibility I have to teach them how to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands.

Titus 2:3 "Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good,

Titus 2:4
and so train the young women to love their husbands and children,

Titus 2:5
to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."

The King James Version uses a much stronger word than reviled. This is what verse 5 says in the KJV:

Titus 2: 5 "To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

"That the word of God be not blasphemed." That's pretty strong language to me.

My prayer is that the Lord would draw me closer to Himself, and that He would develop within me a meek and quiet spirit.

1 Peter 3: 4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.